Ever feel like you missed a class on how to have a romantic relationship? Do you feel like you will never be allowed into the prestigious club known as plus one? Have you felt that going on a normal date seems to be a long shot? If so then you will love this blog. Hi I'm Dave and I am a survivor of the New York dating scene. This is the story of a socially inept geeky sweet guy on a quest to find love and a decent set of glasses...whatever comes first.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Chicken Fingers A.K.A I Do Not Speak Girl

 

“You’re a complete asshole!” Janice yelled at me over the phone.  By her tone, I could picture her veins popping out of her neck and her eyes bulging out of her skull.

“What did I do?” I stammered back completely oblivious.

“Seriously? Did you not go on the same date I went on?” Janice said. I could hear her biting her nails and could feel the heat of her anger over the phone.

“Think David!” she screamed.



I met Janice on Match.com. I replied to her profile even though it did not have a picture. A rarity for me. But I was taken by her profile which I found funny and intriguing. We began to correspond, first on the website and then almost daily by phone. We hit it off pretty well. We both had sarcastic senses of humor. She worked in a medical laboratory and was passionate about music. She was close to her family, her sister in particular, who had autism. She was fiercely protective of her.

We set up a date for Saturday at 6:00pm at Time Square for dinner and a movie.  Janice decided to take a cab to the city since she did not know how to navigate the trains or buses from New Jersey to New York.

As she got to Time Square, she called me because the cab driver was lost. I spoke to him but quickly became frustrated and angry at the driver for having his head up his ass. Finally, after some cajoling, we managed to meet at Rite Aid across the street from the theater. After making pleasantries I said.

“Man that driver was a jerk!” and began to bitch about him for about 10 minutes at how stupid and brainless he was.

This was my first mistake.

What I should have done…

I should have shut my mouth and complimented my date on how cute she looked. I should have let go of the anger for the driver because it was slowly souring our first meeting. I should have told Janice that her hair, which I knew she had recently straightened for this date looked fantastic.
But I didn’t, instead I chose to bitch about something that did not deserve my attention.

We then walked to the theater making small talk on the way. When we entered, we had two choices for the movie. Ninja Assassin or Twilight New Moon.  I asked Janice what she wanted to watch. Her reply was, and I quote…

“I don’t care. I mean I saw the first Twilight but it’s up to you on what we should see.”

 Translation:

I really want to see New Moon. Please pick this movie because it will show that you are sensitive to my needs and can get me. 

“Okay, Ninja Assassin it is!” I said cheerfully as I plopped down my money on the counter.

Strike Two.

After watching the film, we decided to get a bite to eat. I turned to Janice and asked what restaurant she would prefer. Again she replied with “I don’t care you pick.”

Translation:

Please pick someplace nice. It will show me that you are a classy guy who wants to treat me well and can be romantic.

“Okay! Dave & Busters it is!” I said as I climbed the escalator.

Strike Three.

As we ate dinner, I took out my iPad and began to show her pictures of my friends. There were many photos of us goofing off at nightclubs with girls.

Strike Four

In doing this, I gave her the impression that I wasn’t serious about a committed relationship. I gave her the sense that I was immature, and that was the nail in the coffin.

After explaining this to me. Janice told me to forget her number, and I never heard from her again. Now where some of the mistakes I made were completely my fault? I don’t think so. To be honest, the whole experience made me learn that we have to be upfront with how we feel. Some of us are just dense. Which is what I believe my biggest sin was that night. Thinking that everyone thinks and feels the same way as me.

All in all, I do not regret going on the date or making my mistakes. If anything, it made me realize that sometimes you need to read between the lines.

0 comments:

Post a Comment